Thursday, May 30, 2019

I'm Not Whipped Yet


June 28, 1962
Fairbanks, Alaska
 
Dearest Lois & kids:

Rec’d your letter today and thought I’d better answer it.  Things haven’t been going too good for me right at present.  Jobs are mighty scarce right now.  Have tried just about every place in town and still have several guys trying to help me out too.  So, keep your fingers crossed and don’t give up I’m not whipped yet.

Sure glad to hear Tiki’s feeling a little better sure hate to have anything happen to her now that she’s full grown.

I worked today and think things are going to start picking up now.  It’s about time.  Tonight, I’m going to Anchorage with Dick Curington (he’s manager of the airport here) to help him pack and load his furniture and stuff to bring to Fairbanks.  He asked me to go and help.  He’s sure a swell guy.  But you’d like the people up here because it’s so easy to get acquainted.  

...to be continued...

Note: It amazes me how Dad stayed so positive. His words clearly convey the struggle he had with not being able to find a steady job. They also convey how lonely he was without his family and how badly he wanted them (us) there with him. You can feel how in love with Alaska he was already. He was determined to make it there.

No comments: