Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Things Haven't Busted Yet


June 22, 1962
Fairbanks, Alaska

Dearest Lois, Bully & Carla:

Rec’d your letter today and was sure glad to get it.  Sorry I didn’t write sooner but have been trying to find a full-time job.  This one on the moving so far hasn’t panned out so good.  The week I worked was O.K. but he didn’t have anything for last week but I did get 1 day in with another outfit will send you the money as soon as I get it.  Should be about 50 bucks.  Only got about 5 hrs this week and have been looking for some other job the rest of the time.

Things are sure slow getting started this year even construction hasn’t opened up yet.  Everybody is sure surprised things haven’t busted yet.  They say things gad better break soon or the season will be over before it starts.

I’ve got about 1/2 a dozen different people trying to help me get a full-time job or a good job where I can send more money to you plus the fact I’ve tried just about every place I can think of or have been told about.  I’ve also heard that the man Neil’s working for said, “He thinks maybe Neil won’t work out on his job.”  If he don’t I may get a crack at it.  Sure hope so.  That would be a good deal.  From what I understand his mouth is too big.  He lets it run away with him.  Haven’t seen him for about a week now.  Actually it don’t bother me a bit.

to be continued... 

Note: Some of Dad's comments about Neil make it seem like he (Dad) didn't like him (Neil), but they actually remained friends, albeit long-distance ones, after Neil moved back to the Lower 48 many years later. Neil was just one of those guys that always talks big, but rarely follows through. He was a good person though.

No comments: