Monday, May 13, 2019

Being Lonesome is Even Catching to Dogs


June 22, 1962
Fairbanks, Alaska

(continued)
Jerry had to go and get his money that Neil owed him and Neil was telling Jerry about his big plans.  He told Jerry about the same thing he told me and Jerry said he though Neil was nuts.  Bet he hasn’t sent her (Irene) any money yet, has he?  He’s going to buy a couple of rifles and a lot of other stuff so he can go hunting this fall.  Also said his boss was going to swear he’s been here over a year so he can get a resident license and wants me to do the same.  I told him I’d wait and had better places for my money to go.

Sweetheart, I know you are awful lonesome but so am I and I’m really trying and doing the best I can.  Please have faith and keep your fingers crossed because I love you very much.

The weather here has cooled off quite a bit the past couple of days and it’s pretty cool right now.

Wouldn’t have done me any good to look for a job today (6/23) so Bill Stevens, he’s one of the bartenders here on the boat, asked me if I wanted to go for a boat ride, so I did.  We went up river 5 or 6 miles and then came back and stopped at ab old boat or barge.  He wanted to get some old lamps and stuff off it before someone wrecked them, so we did.  He’s an ex-cop from Calif. And is really a nice guy.

Started to finish this letter this morning and he asked me to help him a little while.  Him and Norm have one of those small gold suckers and it hasn’t been working right.  So I helped him about 1/2 hr and am finishing now.

Well enough for that.  Am sure glad you and the kids are all well and feeling so good.  Glad Tiki snapped out of it too.  Maybe everybody being lonesome is even catching to dogs.

No comments: