Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Loving a Dog


Tiki was my first experience with a dog. Loving a dog and losing a dog. She taught me about the precious bond between people and dogs. She taught me that dogs are much more than just pets. They are loyal, selfless companions who give their unconditional love freely and with their whole hearts.

I only remember Tiki through family stories, but she affected my life in ways I’ll never be able to explain. During the course of her short life she taught a 2-year-old the meaning of unconditional love, loyalty, bravery, and selflessness.

During my life, I have been fortunate to live alongside many dogs: Snow, Fritz, King and Blackie, Jet, Sasha, Bartles, Riley, Tara, Kali, Trygg, Tango, Typhon, Molly, Bayard, Sydney, numerous other family dogs, much loved and forever missed, and now our cranky little Chihuahua mix, Pippin. They have all taught me valuable lessons along the way — how to live, love, and someday, hopefully many, many years from now, leave this plane of existence with grace and dignity.

I hope I can pull it off. I hope I’m capable of leaving such a legacy. I only hope to be as good as a dog.

No comments: