Tuesday, October 15, 2019

You'll Wish You Hadn't Done It, and Yet...


July 25, 1962
Fairbanks, Alaska

Dearest Lois & Kids:

Well honey, by now you know I’ve got another job and I like it better than the other one. The guy I work for is a pretty nice guy and so far, I guess I’ve been doing O.K. I hope. You know it’s been a long time since I worked in a filling station. The main thing though, at least it’s steady.

Sweetheart, when you come, I don’t care what you bring as long as you and the kids get here alright. Honey, go ahead and buy Billy a few clothes if you want to but I’m planning on starting him in kindergarten up here. So, if you want to why don’t you start shopping around and see what you can get for the trailer. Don’t know what you’ve got planned for the car. Do you think you’d like to undertake a trip like that with the kids? It’d sure be rough. If you decide to drive up, the thing to do would be take a couple of weeks or more to make it.

Am sending some more money and it will be regular now, every week. Don’t let anybody change your mind if you really decide you want to make the drive. It’s a long rough trip and you’ll probably wish you hadn’t done it and yet be glad you did. 

...to be continued

No comments: