Tuesday, October 8, 2019

And That Was It, Part IV

Conclusion:


“Lois?” Bill said.

“Hmm?”

She’s the one, he thought as his eyes searched her face. She looks so much like Eloisa, but is so different in every other way. 

Taking a deep breath, he said, “I knew from the moment we met that life with you would be challenging.  I know you’ll give me grief and you’ll be bull-headed and stubborn, but dammit, I’m ready to be a husband and someday soon, I hope, a dad.  And as feisty, difficult, and dramatic as you can be, you’re also the sweetest woman I’ve ever met and I’m in love with you.”

He took her hands in his. 

Lois’s big eyes grew even bigger and her face glowed in the dappled sunlight.

“Sweetheart?”  His heart thudded and his guts shook, but he soldiered on.  “I love you.  Will you marry me?”

Time seemed to stand still in their little bubble.  No sounds, no movement of air. 

Lois smiled. “Well…I’m not sure—"

Bills’ eyes popped and his mouth fell open.  “What?”

She burst out laughing. “You should see your face.”

“Hey, that’s not funny,” he said, grinning. “So? Is that a yes?”

“Yes.”

As he looked into her shining face, a tear rolled down his cheek. “I’m finally going to have a family,” he said. His voice was thick and deep with wonder and possibilities and happiness. His eyes were faraway, seeing into the future. Their future together.

Lois smiled, sniffled, and reached up to wipe away his tear.  “Yes, we will."

His dark eyes focused on her as he returned to the present.  “So,” a slow smile, like the rising of the sun, lit up his face, “how soon can we start our family?”

2 comments:

Pennie E. said...

This is so sweet....and just like a man wanting to get a head start on a family.

C.Y. Bourgeois said...

Yep, he was in a bit of a hurry to start a family. But, in his defense, he was in his thirties when they met. :-)