Thursday, September 12, 2019

They're Tops

July 20, 1962
Fairbanks, Alaska

...continued


You know honey, I think Neil’s mad at me again because I won’t go traipsing around in the woods with him every time he wants to go. He’s mad now cause I won’t go Sun., out on the Elliot Highway gallivanting around with him.

Well sweetheart, I’m going to finally finish this letter because I know you’re anxious to hear from me. Am real sorry I haven’t written earlier this week, but have been kind of pooped when I get off work. I know there’s a letter from you at the P.O. but haven’t had a chance to get it yet.

How is everything going with you? I know you need money bad ad will have some for you next week. Will try to get it to you by Tues. or Wed. At the present time I’ve been helping Noel here at the Boatel and it helps keep my rent paid up and my belly full. Sure was nice of them to let me help them that way. You’d really like them I think, they’re tops.

At least I’m farther ahead than Neil is. Today, Sun., he (Neil) came out to the boat and almost spoke to me. Him and Jerry took off and went someplace. Don’t know where and care less. But I think he went apt. hunting.

I’ve been watching the papers for houses for sale or rent. You know they have some nice ones and not much higher than at home. You know honey, if we could sell the trailer for enough, we could pay Uncle Fred a large amount and maybe end up with enough for a down payment on a house. How does that sound to you? The only catch is you might have to go to work for a while, but you already said you were willing to do that.

to be continued...

2 comments:

Pennie E. said...

Loved the pay rate info...$2.50 an hour...oh my goodness. Not surprised your mom was willing to work, all the Allen girls were hard workers.

C.Y. Bourgeois said...

Isn't it amazing that at one time people could actually live on that?

Yep, she was always a hard worker and willing to help with just about anything that need to get done.