Tuesday, September 10, 2019

I Can Get Dirty


July 20, 1962
Fairbanks, Alaska

My Dearest Lois & kids:

Well sweetheart, I went to work Tue. in a filling station! The pay starts at $2.50 per hour, 9 hrs. a day, 6 days a week and after I catch on, I’ll get $3.00 or a little over, an hour. Actually, I like it better than the bus driving job I almost got because I can get dirty and I’ll get paid every week. I’ve been greasing cars, changing tires, putting gas in them and minor repair work on them.

Am going to make this letter short because I want to get it mailed.
Sure glad to hear Bub got home alright and you got the money. Know you needed it and sorry it couldn’t have been more. Maybe now you’ll have it coming in every week.

You know I’ve been watching the papers for houses and they sure do have a lot of them for sale. Some of them aren’t too high either and sound real nice.

You know, honey, I’ve been thinking, you said you ‘d be willing to go to work to help out for a while. Sounds real good and maybe we could get a house quicker that way. I really think it would work. So, think it over and let me know what you decide and if you want to do it or not. 

...to be continued...

Note: The line about getting dirty is such a guy thing to say & it makes me laugh every time I read it. 

No comments: