Wednesday, July 10, 2019

That's Right, I Said Bus Driver


July 9, 1962
Fairbanks

Dearest Lois, Billy & Carla:

Well sweetheart, I finally made the grade, believe it or not I’m now a bus driver.  That’s right, I said bus driver.  With the help I’ve had I got a job working for the Alaska Overland CO. I’ll be driving 6 days a wk. And the pay will be about $165 per wk. Not too much but it’s year-round.  That’s the main thing.  Another thing, it’s an easy job but we have to look nice & neat.  

You know I didn’t bring any dress clothes with me but I have some now.  Noel and his wife gave me a suit, 5 or 6 pair of slacks & trousers plus 2 or 3 shirts.  Boy you can’t beat that.  I went and bought me a gray shirt and black tie but I don’t think I’ll have to wear the tie.  At least not all the time.  We go to work at 5 in the morning and get off at 2:30 in the afternoon.  It’s the shuttle run out of Eielson A.F.B.*(Air Force Base) Get paid every 2 weeks so I’ll be able to send you some more money real soon. 

I start steady on Mon. And I think I’m going to like the job O.K.  I’ll have a little coming for the few days I managed to get in last wk.  I worked Mon., Wed., Thur., and Fri., which will give me some money and maybe I can send you some more as soon as I can.


To Be Continued...

*(Author's Note) 
 


No comments: