Thursday, February 6, 2020

Final Letter, Part II


August 13, 1962
Fairbanks, Alaska

By the way, did you get 2 letters with money in them? One with $80.00, the other $100.00, sure hope so and was kind of stupid of me to send it that way. Am sending you last week’s and this week’s money in this check, probably take next week’s for apartment rent.

Honey, check at the insurance office and tell them you’re going to drive through Canada and would like a pink card, also if our road service is good there. Also, when you’re ready to enter Canada, exchange our money for theirs because the people won’t give you the difference on it. You see Canadian money is worth 10 cents less on the dollar than ours and then when you get to Alaska exchange it back for ours again. Also, bring all the winter clothing you got.

Sweetheart, I hope I’ve finally done the right thing for once and told you enough so you won’t have too much trouble. As a matter of fact, none.

I know this is a mighty big step but we can always go back. I’ve got to give it a try though. Also, everybody thought I was nuts when I came up, well maybe I am. When you get here, I’d be more than willing to take the kids and let you collapse even for two weeks.

Sure am getting anxious to see you all, can’t hardly wait. Here’s hoping the kids aren’t too much bother on the trip. They both like to travel so much. Do you think they will?

Honey, I’m going to send you 2 phone numbers, one is the Riviera Boatel and that number is GLobe 6-4191, the other is Persinger’s Service Station where I work, that no. is GLobe 6-4200. If you call I’ll be at the station at least till 6, sometimes till 8 and at the boat all evening.
Honey, I do love you very much and know you get real mad at me at times but I have even missed a few meals so I could send money home. So please be patient and don’t be too hard on me when you get here.
Sweetheart, maybe I haven’t answered all your questions and everything this time but want to get this in the mail so you can get started as soon as possible. Can’t hardly wait to see and hold you close and cuddle up to you at night.

Am going to close now so I can get this mailed in the morning so you’ll get it. Sending all my love and kisses to you and the kids. Hoping to see you real soon.

Give everybody my love and tell them I’m doing okay and just waiting for you and the kids to get here.

All my love and kisses,
Your loving husband,
Bill

…to be continued


**My family is fortunate to have this written proof of how much Mom and Dad loved each other and us. As these letters come to an end, I can't help but experience a growing sadness. Almost as though I'm saying goodbye to them again.


(**) Author’s note.


No comments: