Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Final Letter, Part I


August 13, 1962
Fairbanks, Alaska

Dearest Lois & kids:

Got your letter today and was sure glad to hear from you. Time does go fast for me being I’m working 9 to 11 hours a day. Also overtime I put in is time and a half which helps a lot. I get paid today and will send you some money and am going to see Neil and find out if he has his ½ of the expenses.

Well sweetheart, I talked to Neil and he is going to send Irene $100.00 this week and another $100.00 to Dawson Creek for her to pick up when you get there. I’m sending a check. For $200.00 which should take care of all the expenses, food and lodging for you and the kids. So, when you get this letter you can plan on leaving any time you want to and Irene is ready. You’re supposed to get $75.00 from her for her half of the expenses.

Now for the route: go the same way we did. We went up to the Straits and took Highway 2 right straight through Minot, N.D., Highway 52 from Minot to Portal on the border where you cross, then Highway 39 in Canada. Take it to Corinne then hit Highway 6 to Regina. Regina to Saskatoon Highway 11. 11 North out of Saskatoon about 14 miles to Highway 5. Highway 5 changes to 16 when you get into Alberta, Canada. Highway 16 goes right through Edmonton where you pick up 43 to Valleyview. At Valleyview take 34 to Grande Prairie then 2 to Dawson Creek. From there on you’re on the Alcan Highway.

Sweetheart, the letter you wrote the 7th I didn’t get until today so I’m sorry I’ve caused you so much worry and heartache. Please forgive me.

Honey, I’m glad you rented it (**the trailer) instead of trying to sell it. Who knows, maybe we will need it again. I sure hope not. Don’t get me wrong honey, I’m not trying to tell you to like it up here that will be up to you. But I can always hope, can’t I?

It sure is nice to catch heck even in the mail and I guess I’ve got it coming.

to be continued... 


(**Neil never did send the money to Irene, so Mom loaded up Billy and me and drove to Alaska on her own.)
 
(**) Author's note

No comments: