Thursday, March 28, 2019

Goodnight Sweetheart


The rest of the letter from June 6, 1962
Fairbanks, Alaska 

Meals are high but we found a couple of places where you can get good meals for $1.75.  Rent is also pretty steep.  This Boatel where we’re staying said they’d let us stay for $75 a month.  They generally get that for one person but gave us the same price for 2.

How is everybody there, all are well, I hope.

Tell everybody I said “Hello” and give them my love.  If anything happens let me know.

Pass the news along as to how I’m doing and will write to the rest of the folks soon. 

By the way I’ll only get paid every 2 wks. But will send some money home then.  I think we could both probably use some.

It’s awful hard getting around without a car but have been doing alright so far.  Got a little better than 2 miles to go to work but have had good luck getting a ride so far.

Am going to try and get the film mailed before the end of the week.  Hope they turn out good.

Will close for now and hit the sack.

Goodnight sweetheart and don’t worry about me.

All my Love,
Bill

P.S. Rec’d your letter and was sure glad to get it.  Hope Tiki gets well.  By the way she hasn’t had any distemper shots.
Love, Bill

Note: Dad was still a bit depressed, even after getting a job. He knew by then, that this was going to be a lot harder than he had originally thought and he was already missing his family terribly after being gone for only one month. 

I wish I could reach back in time, give my young father a hug, and tell him not to worry, let him know it would all work out.

No comments: