Monday, March 25, 2019

A Little Luck


June 6, 1962
Fairbanks, Alaska

Dearest Lois, Billy & Carla,

I love you all very much and sure wish you were here. It really get[s] lonesome without you.

Well, so far we’ve all had pretty good luck at finding a job.  The people where we’re staying have really been swell to us. They helped us find most of our jobs. 

I got up Mon. Morning about 7 and was talking to the man who runs this place and he asked me if I’d ever handled any furniture. I said I had and he called Bill Montpetit and told him he’d found a furniture man.  Bill said to send me up. I went up and talked to him about 2 minutes and he put me to work.

I’ll have to join the Teamster Union tho. It costs quite a bit but maybe it’ll be worth it. The pay is about $4.08 per hr. Worked 9 hrs. Mon., 13 hrs. Tue., and 8 hrs. today. Neil also got a job with some furnace outfit. All his papers didn’t do him a bit of good.  In order to get into the airport you have to have a license, he didn’t.

Charley got a job with the state and was real tickled. Jerry hasn’t found anything yet, but has to go for an interview tomorrow. So much for that.

Jobs aren’t as plentiful up here as they try to make it sound. Guess you need a little luck too.

To be continued...

No comments: